Soul

A Soldier’s Soul

Can you see the soul of a soldier?
Do you glare through him, see only their uniform, body armor, gear, weapon and empty shell?
Do we see the soldier’s soul existing outside of their body?
Simpler to see the soldier detached, distant, non human or even humane?
I say soul is not an exit strategy, a punch line, killer nor benchmark, a pawn for congressional landmarks and elections.
Do we believe the soul would never terrorize the helpless, but a soldier’s boots would knock in the doors of the timid and harmless?
A soul could only be an ambassador of peace and hope, while a soldier can be left with the path of the ignorance, uneducated and warlike.
I know this not to be true. The soul is that of the soldier, they are the united.
Traced the Soldier’s treadles, paper thin soled boots walk the many sandy roads carrying medicine, water and food.
Watch the soldier kneel on stiff, aching joints, uniform so thin, the imprints of the pavement imbedded in their legs, as they reach lower to help an Iraqi child.
Sensed the dried, cracked sun burned hands of the soldier reaching out in friendship and trust.
Witnessed the sweat dry on her forehead as she guarded the pathways for elections and markets.
Cheered my brown t-shirted comrades as they played soccer with our new friends.
Do you see his soul now, as I do, as many of us do?
Please try, look deep, beyond the armor, past the weapon, underneath the dark sunglasses.
See it now? The soul of a friend, teacher, parent and child
See it, see it, look close do see what I see?
See it, see it, their soul looks like yours.

One thought on “Soul

1. Hi, Neat post. There is an issue with your web site in web explorer, might check this… IE still is the market chief and a large element of people will leave out your great writing because of this problem.